Friday, June 19, 2009

French at Noon



Clafouti is admirable for not taking itself too seriously. Not to say the food offered is in anyway substandard (in fact the opposite), it simply means that you don’t get hit over the head with the feeling you are in a Serious French Patisserie and you are eating Serious Food. The small room bustles with French posters on one side and the day’s offering of fresh bread and food stables on the other. The food counter is pleasingly full of lovely to look at sandwiches, salads but mainly desserts (hence the name). The traffic is steady with most choosing to pickup and only myself and two others dawdling on one of the three tables. The service is informal, friendly and quick.


I disagree with the word on the street that Clafouti has the best croissant in Toronto. To bready for my liking and I harbor a suspicion that each does, not in fact contain the better part of a stick of butter. Sacrilegious. They do, however, make a strong clafouti which works out well, all things considered. In the past I’ve tended toward the berry variation which were, in hindsight, a better call then the bing cherry I opt for today. The pastry cream is nicely understated, happy to be subtle and rich instead of the cloying, sweet variation that one sometime finds. The fruit is therefore front and centre, something the bing cherry may be a little understated for. Not that it’s bad, just a rich subtle murmur instead of an emphatic shout. Next time I think I’ll chose the strawberry rhubarb.

No comments:

Post a Comment