Friday, June 26, 2009

The (Gastro) Joys of Church St

As someone who lives in the village Pride week is like a giant party suddenly erupting in my backyard, bursting with positivity and boheme, and then leaving everyone happily shell-shocked. What’s not to love? That being said it’s not the week to spend time in leisurely dining within the area; there's too much going on to concentrate on anything more complex then beer and nachos. But if the day is still young (and the crowds still recovering) or on any other of the 51 weeks the options in the village are strong, for both the buying and consuming of excellent edibles.

Highlights

Cumbrae’s Butchers – almost a mind numbingly obvious choice. They were the first place I bought meat that a) I ordered from a counter and b) wasn’t packaged on styrofoam. Also probably the first time I ate animals that hadn’t graduated from in the mass meat industry. The meat here is just awesome. The Banker and I used to say that no one could actually screw up Cumbreas meat – it was idiot proof (then we found a really big idiot, but that should in no way reflect on the meat). Best steak I ever had was at Oblin Inn in Niagara on the Lake, sourced from Cumbrae's. Service it a little brusque – which can add to the charm, but sometimes doesn’t. I once in my early years had a bit of a breakdown when they gave away my duck legs and ran to Oliffes for a year. But I came back. They’re just too good.




About Cheese – New and shiny this store makes me happy. Staff that encourage you to taste and take the time to explain, interesting side products (still undecided about the birch beer, but I’m glad I tried it) and a respectable bread offering from Epi Breads (along with All The Best fruit and nut bread for blue cheeses) apparently equals joy in my books. I have never been able to pass the store without buying something. And I live blocks away. Scary.




Pusataries Fruit Market – The charming, awkward cousin to the polished uptown chain, this store has Ontario strawberries first, good options for decent and cheap olive oil and sells soup in the back. Easy and tasty.

Ginger’s – Okay, it’s a little generic but for cheap, fast and tasty food this Vietnamese joint nails it. A glossed up version of the Yonge St original, Ginger’s does Pho, Vietnamese Subs (which rocked my world in university – at the time only $2) and other simple dishes.

Kasiki Sukura – In the running for top Japanese restaurant in Toronto (I personally side with a seat at the bar at Hiro Sushi but it may be because my sister is in love with him after her year in Osaka. And I think he’s a little in love with her back). This establishment requires more than a blurb here. In fact I think I need to visit again. Always a winner.



No comments:

Post a Comment