Wednesday, July 8, 2009

SOMA Proves Me Wrong

In the past two years people have developed a tendency towards pairing strange things with chocolate, and typically I’m on board with that. Exotic Salt – love it, Bacon – ship it in, even Aged Balsamic - it makes perfect sense in my head. However I do have a theoretical limit, and before today I thought that limit was olive oil. It just didn’t make sense to me; I associate the feeling of a freshly mown lawn with olive oil, and I, for one, don’t feel the need for grass in my chocolate.

Thinking this I, in the midst of a severe chocolate craving (what’s a gestating girl to do?), found my way to the distillery and specifically SOMA, a place I generally trust implicitly with all my chocolate concerns. I mean a place the shows you their newest batch of cacao beans (Melangeur from Barcelno) must know what they are stuff. And in the case was a pretty little conical olive oil truffle. So money went where mouth is and said truffle was bought, consumed and … enjoyed? Dammit, another theoretical line bites the dust.

The thing is, the quality of the chocolate of SOMA is so high that it showcases the best attributes whatever it’s paired with (kind of like the opposite of mirrors in dressing rooms). The other thing is the olive oil in this case is one of the fruitier and milder family – not the green grass version I carry in my head. The result is a truffle with an excellent exterior snap (as my partner in chocolate lab can testify – I can’t make chocolate do that and therefore harbor envy to all who can) and an interior of lush, bright, chocolate truffle with fruity notes and a mouth feel of pure butter.

So what’s next universe? Toronto food gods I dare you – I will not stand for truffled maple syrup. Do with that what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment