Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Toronto Life makes me Happy

I don’t always agree with any magazine when it decides to print lists of ‘the best’ whatever in Toronto. In my opinion Toronto is just too large and, with food in particular, tastes to varied to really come up with any kind of census. However they are fun to read, so I do buy the magazine so, I’m pretty sure the publishing industry will continue with the practice.

Anyhow in Augusts’ Toronto Life they come up with a best list for pretty much everything in the city. It being Toronto Life most of the items are only obtainable for the Rosedale crowd (and some of the categories are just plain strange – Bust Ugly Lunch That’s Actually Delicious? Huh). However on one important topic (of which I consider myself a bonafide expert) they got it very, very right. Best baguette goes to the Thobors Boulangerie everytime folks. This extremely French establishment, connected to the Pascal Ribreau’s extremely French (and awesome) Mount Pleasant restaurant Celestin, has been making truly awesome breads and pastries for years and gone relatively unreported in Toronto media and blogosphere. Try the baguette to begin but make sure you also pick up one of the pretty and delicious fig breads (works amazing with ripe cheeses) and the croissants (uber flakey due to the high fat content butter) .

Now if only I had the same credentials talking about the best Helicopter Service to Cottage Country.

No comments:

Post a Comment