Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Cream Kills



For me this has been the Summer of Ice Cream. Inhospitable weather aside this city has seriously upped the ante in producing stellar frozen bliss and I have had to crown a new favorite. Tumultuous stuff indeed.

I have long been a devoted fan of Greg’s roasted marshmallow ice cream. It's both insanely delicious and endorsed by the New York Times (and you know how I feel about that publication). The last two years though have been a little lackluster; I fear Greg (the nicest man you’ll ever meet) has gone low fat on me. The flavor is still there, but lacking is that unctuous rich mouthful I demand from my frozen desserts. So, sadly I bid Greg’s adieu and looked for greener pastures.

Through happenstance of location I landed on the Queen East outpost of Ed’s for the bulk of the season. It’s a great spot for people watching and the gelatos are almost too pretty to eat, all vivid colours and lushness in the case. Sticking to the Italian end I have to say Ed’s never disappointed, but neither did it overwhelm. Good but not great, so the road again we hit.

Pay dirt was found not ten blocks east at Cream. Banking on becoming Toronto’s foremost provider of dairy goods Cream is serious stuff. First and foremost the ice cream is dense and flavourful, with all the flavours feeling honest, not invoked by a chemistry set. While they have some more 'out there' concepts (French toast ice cream with candied bacon?) it was the straight up chocolate that won me. This was chocolate ice cream that let the cocoa be the pronounced flavor, not dulling the lovely bitterness with sweetness. This is revolutionary. Which by the way from their literature (an ice cream place with literature – how could I not love?) they are bent on starting - a movement to bring the power of the dairy to the people of Toronto. Bringing awareness Cream is and doing and in a very, very compelling and delicious way.

4 comments:

  1. We got so fed up (not in a good way) with commercial ice cream that we bought a cuisineart ice cream maker. It makes fabulous ice cream!! Even when we use 10% cream instead of 18% cream.

    We haven't tried using whipping cream yet. We daren't. What if we like that best?!

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth - I feel your pain. I've gone to the dark side and have trouble going back - full fat cream all the way.
    If you're interested in trying different fat options try avocado ice cream. You can scale back on the milk fat (I use plain 2%) and the natural fats in the fruit gives the most amazing texture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gained weight just reading this post. I'm very glad Cream isn't too conveniently located!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What flavour does the avocado lend to the ice cream? (I somehow just can't quite wrap my mind on wasting avocados to make ice cream. Just think of the lost guacamole or the opening where the pit was as perfect housing for shrimp salad)

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete