Monday, August 17, 2009

Snacktastic


I like greens, I really do, but I have issues with amounts they tend to be sold in. Case in point, last week I picked up kale to compliment the pickerel I had for the night’s dinner. One third of the amount, sautéed with sesame oil and red pepper flakes, was more than sufficient and very tasty. Now I have a situation; there are at least four servings left but I really don’t feel like using the greens in the dinner rotation for the next few days. I know Wasted Food = Bad, but Boring Dinners also = Bad. Dilemma ensues.
Solution, make snacks.

Kale chips may sound incredibly bizarre but they work, are delicious and a cinch to make. It’s literally a process of ripping the washed kale into bite size pieces, taking care to remove the fibrous leaf centre, putting on a baking sheet and then liberally pouring olive oil and tossing on sea salt. Bake for 15ish minutes at 350 or until nice and crispy and you are done. The result is an excellent a snack and also works as a tasty and interesting garnish. Not only will no kale be wasted, you might need to make another trip to the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment