Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Zucchini Bonding


Zucchini and eggplant are two vegetables that rarely get exposure on my tabletop. Not out of any great dislike; I think it’s a hereditary glitch passed on to me from my mother. I like them, eat them often at restaurants but just never think to incorporate them into dinner. Anyhow, this changed with a vengeance this year when The Banker came home with a face box chock full of both offenders. Always happy to receive edible I mainly stuck to the safe road and spent weeks eating roasted eggplant and zucchini with ______. Tasty and easy but getting a tad repetitive.

I wanted something interesting but requiring no more effort. As I was out of eggplant, I needed something with zucchini as the star (and possible only) player. Fun Facts about zucchini; they are technically an immature fruit – not a vegetable, they contain reasonable levels of folate, potassium and Vitamin D and C, and they originally hail from Italy. Along with the factoids I came across a compelling dish from a guilty pleasure, Jamie Oliver (I’m a sucker for an English accent). In it he makes ribbons out of the plant, grills and then lightly dresses with garlic, red pepper and lemon juice. Sounds both tasty and lazy – right up my alley.

I used a regular vegetable peeler for the ribbons and highly encourage it, the texture of the dish is improved the wispier the zucchini is. As far as the salt goes, I'm of the school of thought that Maldin is always better, but if not that at last kosher or sea salt. And while I can see this dish working well in an elegantly austere meal – think grilled white fish with new potatoes and a Chablis– I paired it with lasagna. Because I’m a rebel, that’s why.

Zucchini Salad (Serves 2)

1 medium sized zucchini, sliced into very thin ribbons with a vegetable peeler or a mandolin (or, if you are a masochist, a knife)

3 Cloves of garlic

½ Teaspoon of red chili pepper flakes

Juice of ½ a lemon

Salt to taste


Method:
1) On a very hot grill (or grill pan) quickly grill the zucchini until the edges are slightly singed.
2) With the side of you knife reduce the garlic to paste. Incorporate red pepper flakes and salt.
3) Thoroughly coat the zucchini with the garlic mixture.
4) Add the lemon juice to the salad.
5) Taste and add salt if required.

No comments:

Post a Comment